On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 at 19:01, Jason Merrill <ja...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 10:49 AM Christopher Dimech via Gcc
> <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
> > > Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2021 at 1:03 AM
> > > From: "Ville Voutilainen" <ville.voutilai...@gmail.com>
> > > To: "Christopher Dimech" <dim...@gmx.com>
> > > Cc: "GCC Development" <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
> > > Subject: Re: A suggestion for going forward from the RMS/FSF debate

> > > How convenient to make that claim and just bypass what's said in the next
> > > bit:

> > > I very much doubt your lofty hypothesis that if "others" were being paid,
> > > the
> > > contributions would "likely drown" the current contributors. Especially
> > > when we're talking about people who have submitted pretty close to ZERO
> > > patches to GCC. You can give a claim that a person $foo would contribute
> > > if being paid to do it. I'll buy that claim if you're talking about
> > > people like
> > > Nathan Sidwell and Iain Sandoe from the time before they became active
> > > contributors again, now that they've been hired to do that. I will not
> > > buy that claim about people who haven't been GCC contributors before.
> >
> > There are many users of gcc who are more qualified to know what is needed
> > in gcc, than developers.  That does not mean than I want to diminish their
> > authority for gcc.  But that authority was still conferred to them by the
> > the Gnu Project - which demands responsibility to carry out the assigned
> > tasks to the best of their ability, not to excoriate their obligation
> > towards
> > the project itself.
> >
> > The ultimate authority is the final responsibility of the Gnu Project,
> > not only that of gcc.
>
> Free Software means there is no ultimate authority.  In Free Software,
> leadership of the development process is by the "consent of the
> governed".  If there is sufficient objection to the existing
> leadership, developers can change it, either by negotiation for
> changes with the current leadership or by forking.
>
> The EGCS fork happened because a critical mass of developers gave up
> on the GNU GCC2 leadership model.  The reconciliation happened because
> GNU agreed to accept the EGCS development model as GNU GCC.
>
> I hope to resolve the current crisis by leadership adjustments
> something along the lines of Ville's proposal, rather than forking.
>
> Jason

That's pretty much all I ask. Jason, Jeff, Thomas, others, please
discuss this matter
among the maintainers, and if need be, among the SC, and make a decision, or
at least provide an indication of how you see these matters. I think
that indication
gives us megabytes more data than philosophical discussions will, entertaining
as they might be.