On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 7:28 AM Xinliang David Li via Gcc
<gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi, the create_gcov tool was probably removed with the assumption that it
> was only used with Google GCC branch, but it is actually used with GCC
> trunk as well.
>
> Given that, the tool will be restored in the github repo. It seems to build
> and work fine with the regression test.
>
> The tool may ust work as it is right now, but there is no guarantee it
> won't break in the future unless someone in the GCC community tries to
> maintain it.

I think if we want to keep the feature it makes sense to provide create_gcov
functionality either directly from perf (input data producer) or from gcc
(data consumer).  Of course I have no idea about its complexity, license
or implementation language ...

Having the tool third-party makes keeping the whole chain working more
difficult.

Richard.