Hi Joel,

If you use of the .vcproj files provided by the GDAL distribution you should be
able to create breakpoints and run in debugging mode. It is not perfect, some
times I have problems with that too. I like the way that Netbeans C++ handle
makefiles on Linux better than VS but I never tried it on Windows. Try
something simple first like debugging gdalinfo first. It should work.

Regards,

Ivan