Hi all

I would like to catalogue shapefiles scattered over lots of directories of the file system and store retrievable information of the shapefiles in a PostGIS layer. Extracting parameters like extent, projection, fields, etc works very fine with GDAL's Python bindings.

But I would also like to store a sort of "footprint" of the whole shapefile as a geometry object since the extent is a bit coarse geographic representation of the shapefile.

So far I have no better idea than eg. for polygon shapefiles looping through all features, applying a Union function on them. And at the end trying to use the Simplify method on the resulting polygon that will be used as the footprint.

This is for sure not very efficient for larger shapefiles with lots of records. And for line and point shapefiles I still don't have a clue how their records could be represented by an enclosing polygon (maybe the Boundary functions does something like this...).

Any ideas how this footprint generation could be achieved in a feasible way using GDAL/OGR Python?

Cheers, Armin