thanks for the hints. So a sort of Union operation seems to be necessary. I
need to check how fast that is with OGR on larger shapefiles (I want to store
in PostGIS just the footprint, not the full geometry collection). The Convex
Hull could be a good alternative to a simplified boundary.

it depends on your shapes -- if you have a very concave shape, a convex hull can be a poor representation.

You might try simplifying before the Union - that would make the Union faster.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov