Mike,

Le 24/11/2022 à 18:56, michael.smith.e...@gmail.com a écrit :

Basically, can one create a spatial index in a flatgeobuf file if the source does not have one?

yes, through ogr2ogr by creating a new file, as you did

Also, when trying to just create a new flatgeobuf with a spatial index from one without (using ogr2ogr), I get a lot of

ERROR 2: ICreateFeature: Too big feature

It could be either a huuuuge feature whose serialized form exceeds 2GB (unlikely, and even more if you convert from an existing flatgeobuf file which enforces this limit). Or that you have lots of features and a modest amount of RAM. The creation of the spatial index requires an amount of RAM proportional to the number of features (maybe 80 bytes or so per feature). In this later case, the error message is misleading currently. I've just changed it to "ICreateFeature: Memory allocation failure" in master.

Even

--
http://www.spatialys.com