On 05/04/11 14:00, Enrico Tröger wrote:
Hi,

any objections in increasing the GTK minimum requirement of Geany to
GTK 2.12 (and GLib 2.16)?

This would make quite some code obsolete and so could be removed.
Also, it would make it easier to migrate to using Glade 3 with
GtkBuilder instead of Glade 2 (and in the long term makes getting
compatible with GTK3 easier, but really, later :D). Though I'd like to
do this step some time later. Also we could rely on GIO which came with
GLib 2.16 which should remove some #ifdefs.

I think the current minimum of GTK 2.8 can be increased as GTK 2.12 is
already about three years old already.

I think it's a good idea. If it helps I would be willing to scour a few of the source files and remove obsolete code. Just let me know.

It'd be great to switch to GtkBuilder some time, since Glade 2 is pretty much DOA now (as Jiri mentionned, requires system header modifications to build) and it's painful to use it. IMO, doing that switch will be quite a big task, but will make working on Geany's UI *much* easier. The only downside is that Geany will have to ship with a separate XML file for the UI, but it's not such a big deal.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush