On 26/09/2011 22:38, Colomban Wendling wrote:
Le 24/09/2011 13:32, Lex Trotman a écrit :
[...]
How about automagically disabling auto-reparsing per-file if it takes
too long (1s?) at runtime? Without needing to change the setting that is.
I disagree, it is a bad idea to turn off a setting that changes the
behavior.  The user is likely to be confused by the unexpected change
in behavior (new symbols no longer in autocompletes, new types not
being highlighted etc).  Having it automagically turn off is bad.  At
most, pop up a dialog suggesting turning it off and noting where, but
only ever once per session.

Hum, right, automagic might not be good, asking the user is always better.

I've got 2 WIP patches, though they might not be appropriate to commit
before release since they add strings... anyway, here they are:

0001-Per-document-real-time-symbols-setting.patch:
Adds a per-document setting for real-time updates and a menu item in the
Document menu.  There is still a FIXME in it, feel free to give ideas :)

Not sure about the use case:

1. Very big files > x MB - I don't think we need to support that case specially, Geany is a programmer's editor. The user can just open as filetype none if they only want basic editing.

2. Slow tag parsers - a per-filetype setting might be more practical than per-document?

I see it might be useful but I'm not convinced it's worth it.

0002-Tell-the-user-if-real-time-reparsing-is-slow-and-let.patch:
This one adds the check for the updating duration and asks the user.  It
is WIP, and I'm not really convinced by the dialog, as you can read in a
TODO.  Apart that, it seems to work pretty OK.

I think this is overkill - who would want editing to have > ~0.2s delays? Auto-disable should be fine with a status bar message.