Let's suppose for example I've just drawn a new line and overshot
the target.  I don't seem to be able to just select that unconnected
endpoint and pull it back to where the place where it should
connect.  Well, actually I CAN select the line, but when I drag it
always makes the entire new line move back.  Then the line
overshoots the connection on the other end.  Either I'm doing
something wrong, or this feature doesn't work on unconnected line
segment ends.

Sounds like the line is selected, or you're grabbing the whole line
and not the end.

Indeed there seems to be a wide-spread misconception that one must select a line in order to move it. You *can* select it and then move it, but it is not necessary. Just grab and drag it with the arrow tool which is faster and easier.

In the case of a line end-point you MUST NOT SELECT IT. Selections always moves the entire selection and there is no way to select only an end point. To move the end point you must just drag the end point with the arrow tool on an unselected line. DJ's patch in CVS only improves (restores the original function some versions ago) the "slop" (inaccuracy) with which you must grab the end point.

h.