On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Dave N6NZ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> DJ Delorie wrote:
> >> PCB needs first class support for oblong through-holes.
> >
> > Yup.  I've talked about a "multi-pin" before; this is a pin with
> > arbitrary shaped copper/soldermask/etc on each layer.
> >
> Yes, when you get to multi layer boards you often want a different
> annulus on inner layers.
>
> I think it's time to think about an expansion to the footprint grammar
> to support more sophisticated pins and also more sophisticated paste
> specs.
>
> -dave
>
> Without piling on too much....

- Expanding the grammar to support inner layer pad <> outer layer pad would
be great.  (Would one geometry definition apply to all inner layers?)
- Also consider whatever would allow pins (and vias) with no connection to
some layers (maybe supporting blind and buried vias in the process?)
- Taking this too the limit, consider a shift to a more heirarchical
approach which would allow pad definitions to be "included" in a footprint
by reference rather than direct inclusion.
(My ignorance of the data structures now used by PCB may be evident here - I
don't know how difficult this would be).

Joe T