I have only looking at the first set of numbers all the time. Sorry about that. So here is possible explanation. You run long enough that the operating system would kick in multiple times. It seems the OS is doing something in the middle of the simulation like waiting for an interrupt to happen. Look at the value of system.cpu.quiesceCycles. There is a big gap between the values for the two runs. I think the processor is not doing much when it is waiting for an interrupt.

--
Nilay