Hello Boris,

On 02/02/21 12:16 am, Boris Shingarov wrote:
> Dear Basavaraj, Sandipan and other contributors to power-gem5:
>
> I am currently the maintainer of arch-power in gem5 and I am interested in
> upstreaming power-gem5 to the mainline gem5.  My understanding from your

Glad to hear that!

> OpenPOWER Summit presentation is that you intend to upstream it.  So I am
> curious where we are with that.  What I am trying to avoid is duplication of
> discovery of things that perhaps you already discovered.  E.g., maybe you
> bumped
> into some insurmountable difficulty which makes continuing not worth it -- in
> that case I don't want to spend 6 months just to step on the same rake.
> Therefore: could you shed some light on the project's current status?

The branch (https://github.com/power-gem5/gem5/tree/gem5-experimental)
where we have all of the changes that make FS mode support possible for
the Power ISA is fairly out-of-date, at least by a couple of years now.
Since there are quite a few patches, we would like them to be reviewed
and merged in phases.

We began by adding 64-bit instruction support and I do try to rebase
and maintain this specific subset of patches. This makes it possible
to run both 32-bit and 64-bit big and little endian PowerPC binaries
in SE mode. If its okay with you, we can start by working on trying to
get these changes reviewed and merged first. You can find them here:
https://github.com/sandip4n/gem5/tree/develop-power

The FS mode changes depend on 64-bit support but aside from that, it
also needs a fair amount of cleanup in order to meet the patch submission
requirements. We can again split this into multiple phases based on the
sequence in which MMU, interrupts and OPAL firmware + Linux kernel support
get added. That being said, there are bits like external interrupt support
that requires us to add a supported interrupt controller, such as XICS
or XIVE, which are still missing. So, in order for external UARTs like
8250 to be used for console interactions, we currently use some hacks
which I am sure are not quite upstreamable.

I did write a console driver for OPAL firmware that allows the Linux
kernel to use an alternative firmware-provided console device but that
has not been merged either. Plus there are other quirks in OPAL firmware
that will need to go in since gem5 will not support any form of power
management (sleep states, etc.). These changes can be found here:
https://github.com/sandip4n/skiboot/commits/gem5-devel

For those of us at IBM Linux Technology Center (LTC), this has been a
hobby/side project and hence, the biggest challenge for us has been
finding spare cycles to work on improving, cleaning up and keeping things
up-to-date. We still absolutely intend to get these merged.

- Sandipan