Hello Boris,

On 03/02/21 2:34 am, Boris Shingarov wrote:
> Hi Sandipan,
>
>> This makes it possible
>> to run both 32-bit and 64-bit big and little endian PowerPC binaries
>> in SE mode. If its okay with you, we can start by working on trying to
>> get these changes reviewed and merged first.
>
> Yes, yes!  This aligns very well with both what sequence I think is the most
> realistic technically, and with my project's priorities.

Great!

>> You can find them here: [develop-power]
>
> Some of these commits just scream as the perfect first candidates, for
> example
> https://github.com/sandip4n/gem5/commit/3dd0438159d67fe2b5bcc777b43046fdca90f6b9
>  and related.  Because right now the Decoder is in a really sad state,
> crashing even on simple, perfectly valid programs (and that's even within BE,
> 32-bit SE), see for example https://gem5.atlassian.net/browse/GEM5-819.  So,
> how about we start from that one?  How would you like to proceed -- do you
> want to submit on Gerrit using the regular process and I will review it?

I think I had come across that problem too but I am sure
that one of my patches will fix that. Probably this one:
https://github.com/sandip4n/gem5/commit/3b0203e63d892c94fd0e67cfe79f5e6662504c4a

>> this has been a hobby/side project and hence, the biggest
>> challenge for us has been finding spare cycles
>
> At my day job at LabWare, I write JIT compilers, and the development
> technology is centered around simulation -- so I can't draw a bright line
> where gem5 stops being a "side" project and becomes part of the "main"
> project because the latter depends on it.  But it does mean that I naturally
> have more timeslices for some aspects of gem5 than for other aspects.
>>> So, in order for external UARTs like 8250 to be
>> used for console interactions, we currently use some hacks
>> which I am sure are not quite upstreamable
>
> Yeah, we are in the same boat here.
> I, too, have a long queue of hacks to gem5 which I did just to enable some
> experiments with the JIT compiler; they've been waiting *years* that I rework
> them into "real" patches to go upstream -- but that stage of work is very
> slow and painful labour.

Sounds interesting. I have minimal experience with JIT
compilers having worked on the Linux kernel's in-built
eBPF JIT compilers. Have peeked into Qemu's TCG too.

On that note, are there any plans to add a JIT engine
to gem5? Since gem5 supports checkpoints, uninteresting
parts of a program can be run in JITed mode to speed
things up.

>> The FS mode changes depend on 64-bit support but aside from that,
>> it also needs a fair amount
>
> What scares me every time I think about FS, is that it will need coordinating
> across projects/communities (Kernel, OPAL, ...) where I don't have a lot of
> background in.  Well, let's worry about FS when the time comes.

The folks that I work with here at IBM LTC can assist us
with that. Besides, like we agreed, lets start with SE
mode.

- Sandipan