On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Gabe Black <gbl...@eecs.umich.edu> wrote:

> I'm not sure if it will be hugely better. I'd have to just do it and see
> how it comes out, I suppose. Wouldn't scheduling an event be similar to
> what I have, just using the event queue instead of the new packet
> pointer?

Yea, at a certain level, the effect is similar--just deferring the callback
until later--which is not bad, since that's what addresses the problem.  I
think that using the existing event queue mechanism (which is explicitly
defined for deferring stuff until later) is less convoluted than adding a
handful of new variables and control code to cover just this one specific
situation.

> I could imagine it being better, actually, so I'm tentatively
> convinced. There shouldn't be a need to move any x86 code into Alpha to
> make that work, but I wouldn't swear to that.

Thanks for giving it a try.

Steve