Hi m5-dev list,

My understanding of the cache subsystem in M5 is that all caches (L1s in all cores and L2 in a CMP system) must have the same line size. I understand that it is more efficient, especially for the coherence protocol. However, I think it is reasonable for different caches to have different line sizes. I assume there is no data sharing between workloads for now hence there is no cache coherence issue (although I think a little bit redesign of the coherence protocol would make it work).

I'm interested in modifying M5 to support different line sizes in L1s and the shared L2 (while L2's line size is always larger than all L1's). Would anybody give me any suggestion?

1) I think modifying the addressing and cache line filling during a L1 miss is all I have to do, right? Any advice on where I should be looking at?

2) For not messing up with coherence protocol, I may need to disable it. Any advice on where I should be looking at (like, stop each core from snooping the bus)? Will there be any side-effect if I do this?

Thanks.

--
Best Regards,

Wang, Weixun