Hi Brad,

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011, Beckmann, Brad wrote:

Hi Nilay,

Yes, you could make such an optimization, but you want to be careful not to introduce starvation. You want to make sure that newly arriving messages are not always prioritized over previously stalled messages.

Could you avoid looping through all message buffers by creating a list of ready messages and simply scanning that instead? You still want to store the messages in the message buffers because they model the virtual channel storage. However, the list can be what the wakeup function actually scans.

I think we should maintain a MessageBuffer with in the PerfectSwitch which would be scanned on wakeup. That way priorities of messages can be taken care of in the same fashion as currently done in message buffers. We would also need to store in the message the identity of message buffer (link, virtual network) it actually belongs to. This would required for popping the message when it gets routed.

--
Nilay