I'm not sure this is a great solution, since eventually it would be nice to
get rid of RubySystem as a separate object and just use System.  (There's
really no non-historical reason to have both.)

I still don't quite understand where the cycles are coming from; the outputs
you sent after adding the additional print statements don't seem to show
one, maybe because of the other changes you made.  Or maybe I'm just not
interpreting them correctly.

Steve