R33 is a "zero register".  It is used whenever a zero is required.  It is
also often sourced unnecessarily if an instruction requires fewer source
registers.

In gem5 the basis for splitting is solely up to whoever wrote the ISA
decoder.  For arm its mostly what you would expect 2 real sources (not
counting flags that can add more.  R37-39 or so are the flags).

In the past I tried to find a way to compile without predication too. Never
found a way.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my phone.