On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 7:40 PM, Michael J. Lowrey <orangem...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Andreas Kolbe <jayen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Please consider the likelihood that there may be a correlation between
> the
> > let-it-all-hang-out attitude towards porn, and the problem you describe
> as
> > "sexualized behavior – sexist comments and bad manners".
> >
> > The let-it-all-hang-out approach towards porn is likely
> >
> > – to attract people who engage in "sexualized behavior – sexist comments
> and
> > bad manners", and
> > – to repel the type of people who would be "allies within the community
> > shoot down behaviour like that (civility!)".
> >
> > A more responsible and mainstream approach, on the other hand, is apt to
> > repel the first and attract the second type of contributor.
>
> {{citation needed}}
>
> Unquestioned premises almost inevitably lead to false conclusions. In
> this case, the unquestioned premise is that those who oppose
> censorship are people who engage in (or at least tolerate) sexist
> comments and bad manners, as opposed to the possibility that those who
> people oppose censorship believe in opposing censorship as a matter of
> principle. You are unilaterally defining opponents of censorship as
> irresponsible, out of the mainstream, and unwilling to support
> civility: again I say, {{citation needed}}!
>
> (I won't bother to ask for an apology.)

I'll work on a citation. But in my experience, the places that are most
radically free speech, and most anti-censorship when it comes to porn, like
parts of 4chan and reddit, are also places where the level of discourse
goes way south. I don't think that is a particularly novel or contentious
observation.