On 22 April 2018 at 09:51, Jan Iversen <jancasacon...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 22 Apr 2018, at 09:43, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 20 April 2018 at 12:11,  <j...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have given some thought to the proposal by Sebb that replaces my proposal.
>>>
>>> There have been on/off talks over a long time about simplifying the
>>> maintenance, common for the talks are the wish to only maintain a single
>>> file, preferable json format.
>>
>> Why is a single file necessary?
>>
>>> The proposal from Sebb have a lot of good qualities, but the latest
>>> suggestion is a file pr project combined with yaml files, this is far from
>>> the original wish and something I cannot support.
>>
>> Why not?
> Because it is multiple files instead of 1 file.

Huh?
Unless you are updating multiple projects, it is only one file.

> You need to edit the .md, which eventually will lead to different
> content/look&feel project files (with content I mean different classes of
> content, like some will have related projects others will not even have the
> field…also with .md it is possible to reorder the information).

How is that different from JSON data?
JSON does not have mandatory attributes, nor does it insist on a
particular order.
And what does the order matter?

>>> I am also a bit concerned about having a bot running for something that
>>> changes 3-4 times pr year, it seem like a waste of Infra resources.
>>
>> This same bot is used for lots of sites.
>>
>>> It is important that the maintenance can be carried out easily and it is
>>> important that the look/feel of the site stays identical e.g. old urls must
>>> remain available.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>>> Adding a struct in a json file secures easy maintenance, as in the original
>>> proposal.
>>
>> I disagree that JSON is the way to go.
>>
>>> Please let us not complicate things.
>>
>> JSON is complicated to use with anything other than small amounts of
>> textual data.
> Not really, at least not from my pow, and after all I just converted all
> projects to json, that should count for some experience.

As I wrote elsewhere, not all the information in the existing XML
files has been transferred.

It was when I started looking at how to do that with JSON that I
started to think that JSON is not the right format.

Have a look at how to transfer the additional information from some of
the following:

Abdera
AxKit
Beehive
Crimson
DeviceMap
Excalibur
HiveMind
iBatis
ECS
ORO
Regexp
Slide
Taglibs (this has a lot of info)
Muse
OJB
Shale
Whirr
Xang
XML
XMLBeans

Some of that info could perhaps be added to the description field.
But I don't think it's practical for everything.

And I don't think it's right to drop the information.