> On 22 Apr 2018, at 11:27, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 22 April 2018 at 09:51, Jan Iversen <jancasacon...@gmail.com
> <mailto:jancasacon...@gmail.com>> wrote:

>>> Why is a single file necessary?

>>> Why not?
>> Because it is multiple files instead of 1 file.
>
> Huh?
> Unless you are updating multiple projects, it is only one file.
Correct, but it is a new file every time, and not the same file.

>> You need to edit the .md, which eventually will lead to different
>> content/look&feel project files (with content I mean different classes of
>> content, like some will have related projects others will not even have the
>> field…also with .md it is possible to reorder the information).
>
> How is that different from JSON data?
Because with JSON data, each project file is generated, and thus guaranteed to
have the same layout.

> JSON does not have mandatory attributes, nor does it insist on a
> particular order.
> And what does the order matter?
The order in the JSON file does not matter, but the layout of the project file
matters, they should all be identical

>>> This same bot is used for lots of sites.

>>> Agreed.

>>> I disagree that JSON is the way to go.

>>> JSON is complicated to use with anything other than small amounts of
>>> textual data.
>> Not really, at least not from my pow, and after all I just converted all
>> projects to json, that should count for some experience.
>
> As I wrote elsewhere, not all the information in the existing XML
> files has been transferred.
Well, then you do not talk about a missing feature, but an error in the update
(which I already have mentioned earlier).

> It was when I started looking at how to do that with JSON that I
> started to think that JSON is not the right format.
>
> Have a look at how to transfer the additional information from some of
> the following:
>
> Abdera
> AxKit
> Beehive
> Crimson
> DeviceMap
> Excalibur
> HiveMind
> iBatis
> ECS
> ORO
> Regexp
> Slide
> Taglibs (this has a lot of info)
> Muse
> OJB
> Shale
> Whirr
> Xang
> XML
> XMLBeans
>
> Some of that info could perhaps be added to the description field.
> But I don't think it's practical for everything.
I politely have a different opinion

> And I don't think it's right to drop the information.
We can agree on that, and that is solvable in both solutions.

rgds
Jan I.