On Sun, 29 Apr 2018, Jan Iversen wrote:

Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 19:53:45 +0200
From: Jan Iversen <j...@apache.org>
To: general@attic.apache.org
Subject: discussion/vote new site (again, but last time from me)

Hi.

Based on a suggestion from Henk, I hereby once again try to start a
discussion/vote on the new site.

  Ok ; great ; thanks.

We need to select either lua-site or jekyll-site. I strongly believe
there are no reasons to polish the sites more before selecting, it is
apparent how both sites will work.

  Let me say first that Sebb did a great job perfecting the config
  (json/yaml file) ; since it handles all the past retirements,
  we can be confident that either solution can handle (almost)
  any future case.

  The problem at hand is simple :

  -- there is only one 'base' ; all generated pages look the same.
  -- there is only one 'template' : base + project-list (on the right)
  -- there are only 4 (kinds of) pages :
     -- index.html      : template + index.txt
     -- process.html    : template + process.txt
     -- resolution.html : template + resolution.txt
     -- $project.html   : template + <proj-data>
        where <proj-data> is generated from the config.
  -- only 3 substitutions are needed [project-list, title, $proj-data].

  [main point] I think using a template system is, at best, unnecessary.
  Note that the jekyll templates aren't 'easy' (full of if/then/else's),
  and can't be understood unless you look at the code too.
  [I know, because I had to follow Sebb, as he added more and more ;-]
  With the lua stuff, the 'logic' is in one place.

  -- the jekyll stuff uses ruby, ant and jekyll ; requiring installs.
     the lua stuff uses only perl and make ; always available,
     and more widely used/known.
  -- the lua tree looks simpler than the jekyll tree ...

  As the problem is simple, a simple solution is sufficient.

jan I

  Regards,

  Henk Penning

Henk P. Penning, ICT-beta                 R Uithof MG-403    _/ \_
Leuvenlaan 4, 3584CE Utrecht, NL          F +31 30 253 4553 \_/ \_/
http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~penni101/ M penn...@uu.nl     \_/