--------------697F00008D5F6DDC07718DD7

John,

This could be answered in a couple ways. One, I have to believe state
universities will always have a perpetual 'hand out', and would gladly
accept usable computing resources. Or two, I have not made a big deal
out of getting into the freebie business, but we could use a few
machines for students use and/or our faculty. Our needs for these
machines are not that stringent, a machine as slow as a 200mhz Pentium
would work. 400mhz or faster would be better (beggars can't be choosy?).
Generally, we need 7 or more gigs of disk space on this type of work
station machine.  Linux will operate just fine on the low end platforms
as the demands on these systems are minimal (browsing, editing, etc).

The issue of surplus computers from federal surplus depots was explored,
but in the end, all we did was waste our time trying to apply for
'bargain' surplus computers. The crates of machines never materialized.

I will check with The Corporate Recycling Council to see what resources
are available to us, and also contact the CCCC to see if they have any
for us.

Thanks,
Bob

John Hebert wrote:

> Bob,
>
> You should check out www.cacrc.com and possibly ask
> them for donations. The Recycling PCs with Linux
> project at CCCC is still in the formative stages, so
> I'm not sure where we will be getting machines from.
>
> I'll bet that this department could easily get
> corporate donations of PCs from area businesses, if
> the word got out. Have they considered advertising?
>
> John Hebert
>
> --- Robert Leche <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I know of at least one department at LSU that would
> > stand to benefit
> > from the donations of computers and computer related
> > equipment.
> >

> > Bob
> >

> > John Hebert wrote:
> >
> > > Byron,
> > >
> > > You may be interested to know that the CCCC Linux
> > SIG
> > > has started a project to recycle old PCs with
> > Linux
> > > and other free|OSS for individuals/organizations
> > with
> > > a demonstrated need.
> > >
> > > John Hebert

> > P200
> > 3gig
> > combo.
> > Professional.
> > sad. I
> > give it
> > are
> > garbage

Robert Leche
System Administrator
Louisiana State University - Southern Regional Climate Center
260 Howe-Russell Building
Baton Rouge, La. 70803
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
225 578 5023

--------------697F00008D5F6DDC07718DD7

&nbsp;
universities will always have a perpetual 'hand out', and would gladly
accept usable computing resources. Or two, I have not made a big deal out
of getting into the freebie business, but we could use a few machines for
students use and/or our faculty. Our needs for these machines are not that
stringent, a machine as slow as a 200mhz Pentium would work. 400mhz or
faster would be better (beggars can't be choosy?). Generally, we need 7
or more gigs of disk space on this type of work station machine.&nbsp;
Linux will operate just fine on the low end platforms as the demands on
these systems are minimal (browsing, editing, etc).
but in the end, all we did was waste our time trying to apply for 'bargain'
surplus computers. The crates of machines never materialized.
are available to us, and also contact the CCCC to see if they have any
for us.

<pre>--&nbsp;
Robert Leche
System Administrator
Louisiana State University - Southern Regional Climate Center
260 Howe-Russell Building
Baton Rouge, La. 70803
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
225 578 5023