That Fedora set up is cool.  Many moons ago people used to use a /boot
partition to get around BIOS boot disk size limitations.  It's neat to see
they remembered the trick and applied it to LVM.  The same thing can be done
by making a small root partion and mounting most of the file system,
like /usr, /var and /home, from other partitons.  Dustin has a nifty default
set up, but I gave up most of that because BIOS booting got easier.  I'll
still mount /usr and some others from a nice fast scsi drive.

ACPI is something the kernel tries to use, regardless of BIOS settings.  An
older machine won't have it and the kernel ACPI can make trouble.  You
disable it with a boot option or two, "acpi=off" and "noacpi".  As an example
the grub menu.lst on this machine, /boot/grub/menu.lst, has:

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18-4-686
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-686 root=/dev/hda1 ro acpi=off
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-4-686

You can edit that file to add the options from a live CD and you can usually
edit the boot options by some keystroke your distribution should tell you
about.

I hope that helps.