I finally decided to post my plight to the Ubuntu Forums. Of course,
so as not to look like a n00b, I searched first, and lo and behold, a
solution!

It seems the instant reboot is caused by an incompatible kernel.
Ubuntu server apparently installs a 686 kernel by default. So an
aptitude install linux-386 && aptitude remove linux-server should do
the trick. My fingers are crossed.

Joe