Did a little googling. I recommend either
http://plone.org (Zope/Python based) or
http://www.xinco.org (Java based).

Xinco seems to provide the features you specified:

    * manages Documents / Files / Text / URLs /
Contacts...
    * Full-Text Indexing and Search of Text, Adobe
PDF, MS Word, MS Excel, HTML, ...
    * Graphical Search Query Builder
    * tree-based Folder / Data Object Hierarchy
    * native Support for organizing Multi-Language
Data
    * direct preview / editing of Files, direct
opening of Websites in default browser, direct opening
of Contacts in default Email application
    * Standalone Java Client (multi-language),
deployed via Java Web Start
    * Massive Data Import Tool (Multiple Files +
Sub-Folders)
    * Access Control Lists for Users and Groups
    * FDA 21 CFR part 11 compliance (both XincoAdmin &
XincoExplorer)
    * Checkin / Checkout, Version Control and
preservation of previous Revisions
    * Data Commenting / Discussion
    * XincoPublisher for accessing public data (e.g.
linking from external websites, browsing)
    * periodic File Archiving to external storage
volumes
    * Client / Server - Communications via SOAP Web
Services + SOAP with Attachments (SAAJ)
    * scalable Server and Web Service Engine built on
Apache Axis
    * open to third-party Clients and direct
Application Integration (Web Services + Open Source)
    * fast and reliable MySQL or PostgreSQL database
backend
    * Storage Location of Files and Search Index on
different volumes to optimize use of Network Storage
Devices (NAS, SAN)
    *
    * xinco DMS? is growing to be a feature-rich,
professional DMS for managing your critical Business
Information.....