To sum up that article: A guy was forced by a judge to decrypt his
hard-drive for a child porn case. The ACLU and others feel that being
forced to decrypt your hard-drive to provide evidence violates the Fifth
Amendment (see
http://law.jrank.org/pages/6880/Fifth-Amendment-Self-Incrimination-Claus
e.html).

Interesting case.

To me, that is a violation of the Fifth Amendment.

If I have a notebook that includes supposed proof that I committed a
crime, the police have the right to use that against me. Fine. However,
they can't force me to tell them where it is or even that I know of its
existence, AFAIK.

How is decrypting your hard-drive any different?

---
Puryear IT, LLC - Baton Rouge, LA - http://www.puryear-it.com/
Active Directory Integration : Web & Enterprise Single Sign-On
Identity and Access Management : Linux/UNIX technologies

Download our free ebook "Best Practices for Linux and UNIX Servers"
http://www.puryear-it.com/pubs/linux-unix-best-practices/