I know no one locally.

If the drive is "clicking," and unreadable,  they will need a company with
clean room facilities.  The process is so straightforward now there are
probably 100 competent companies online.

Having said that, I have used Ontrack (now Kroll Ontrack) off and on for
over 20 years for server drive data recovery. The last time was 5-6 years
ago.  They are generally good, but expensive.

On their website, there is a Chat facility so you can get a good idea what
you are up against without wasting a lot of time with email/phone calls.
 Also, they have a lot of information about the data recovery process that
is useful even if a different service is used.

There is an opportunity to go to a lower priced company using less
sophisticated methods, but the student should make sure what is done to the
drive is non-destructive (all work done on a copy) so they can try another
place if necessary.

If the person has an idea what filenames and file type(s) need to be
recovered, there is a greater chance of recovery and usually a reduction in
price.  For example, if the only files worth recovering  are SAS data
files, they will ignore OS and other data files and only recover .s* files.

My success rate in getting back what I wanted is around 67%.

[ Sorry for the long post.  Just finished writing a terse manual and must
have needed verbosity.;<\ ]

Doyle Van Zandt
*Creative Support Systems, LLC*
225-324-7045 Mobile