Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

Anybody see an reason (licensing, other) why we should not use this:

http://www2.sfk.nl/svg

in Gump? [I found nothing else via Google. I also looked on python.org
(including in the package index) and in ASPN cookbook.]

The license seems OK for me (see below)

I'd like to use it to generate some SVG images. I believe that some browsers
can render [right term?] them raw (IE just seemed to, albeit slowly), but I
also believe that Forrest uses Batik to generate PNG (I assume for browser
portability). Again, I'll try to make this optional, so folks don't have to
give up the cycles if they don't wish to.

I am a SVG fan, so +1.
If somebody is interested, I know how to install the Adobe SVG Plugin in FireFox on Windows
(not easy, I found some information about this at different places on mozilla forums).

I'd like to start simple (perhaps generate some slider type images to show
FOG values, etc.) Eventually I'd like to draw some graphs representing
dependency tress, etc.

Any feedback? Any objections?

No Objection !

Cheers, :-)

Antoine

Here is the license notice I found in the source code of SVGdraw.py (there seems not to be any separate
license file).

##Copyright (c) 2002, Fedor Baart & Hans de Wit (Stichting Farmaceutische Kengetallen)
##All rights reserved.
##
##Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification,
##are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
##
##Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this
##list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
##
##Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
##this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or
##other materials provided with the distribution.
##
##Neither the name of the Stichting Farmaceutische Kengetallen nor the names of
##its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
##software without specific prior written permission.
##
##THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS"
##AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
##IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
##DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
##FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
##DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR
##SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER
##CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY,
##OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
##OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

##Thanks to Gerald Rosennfellner for his help and useful comments.

Here a programming example from the same source file :

d=drawing()
#then you create a SVG root element
s=svg()
#then you add some elements eg a circle and add it to the svg root element
c=circle()
#you can supply attributes by using named arguments.
c=circle(fill='red',stroke='blue')
#or by updating the attributes attribute:
c.attributes['stroke-width']=1
s.addElement(c)
#then you add the svg root element to the drawing
d.setSVG(s)
#and finaly you xmlify the drawing
d.toXml()