Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

How do we get the word out about the JDK 1.5 Gump runs?

    http://brutus.apache.org/gump/jdk15/

Teams may not be shooting for JDK1.5 compliance right now, but if Gump could
do the leg work for them, maybe they'd do minor tweaks if needed. I could
see this help user, but I feel it has to start sooner, not later (so no
releases go out w/ minor JDK1.5 nits if could be avoided).

Ought we consider notifications? Other ideas?

The way I did this in prior releases was to build it without notification, and then personally approach the projects which had failures. I kept a catalog of problems encountered which I dutifully submitted to Sun (who had made public claims about being 100% backwards compatible - bunk!). These problems were, of course, summarily ignored.

My experience was that projects by and large were extremely appreciative of being given specific and human feedback, and I found the process to be very rewarding.

Still, in the case of 1.4, there was a gap of six months to a year before everyone felt confortable with making it "official".

- Sam Ruby