It's difficult to support this proposal knowing how much time would be
spent preparing an official release, continuing to support it and
continuing to two support two separate implementations of append.  I
believe that effort would be better spent getting out a kick-ass 22
(or, barring that, a *really* kick-ass 23).

The Promised Land that we say we're all trying to get to is regular,
timely, feature-complete, tested, innovative but stable releases of
new versions of Apache Hadoop.  Missing out any one of those criteria
discovered will continue (and has continued) the current situation
where quasi-official branches and outside distributions fill the void
such a release should.  The effort to maintain this offical branch and
fix the bugs that will be discovered could be better spent moving us
closer to that goal.

I'm certainly sympathetic to the difficult position our quagmire has
placed HBase into.  However, the current proposal would hurt HDFS to
help HBase. The best solution for that project, as well as for HDFS,
is to get HDFS back to a healthy release cycle; not prolong or codify
the current ad-hoc state of affairs.  Let's stop digging this hole.
-jakob