On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 10:15 AM, M. C. Srivas <mcsri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Regardless, there will still be 2 incompatible "branches". And that is only
> the beginning.
>
> Some future features will be done only on branch 1 (since company 1 uses
> that), and other features on branch 2 (by company 2, since they prefer
> branch 2),  thereby further separating the two branches.
>
> If the goal is to avoid the split, then there are only 2 choices:
>  (a) merge both
>  (b) abandon one or the other.

The 0.20 append solution has never been seen as a fork. It's a stop-gap
fixup of the 0.20 append feature, but we don't intend to forward-port that
append implementation into trunk. From an API perspective it's very close to
the 0.22 version, and I think everyone fully intends to abandon the
0.20-append work once 0.22 append has been heavily tested for HBase
workloads.

> > The Promised Land that we say we're all trying to get to is regular,
> > timely, feature-complete, tested, innovative but stable releases of
> > new versions of Apache Hadoop.  Missing out any one of those criteria
> > discovered will continue (and has continued) the current situation
> > where quasi-official branches and outside distributions fill the void
> > such a release should.  The effort to maintain this offical branch and
> > fix the bugs that will be discovered could be better spent moving us
> > closer to that goal.

+1. Interestingly, the work on 0.20-append uncovered a number of bugs that
also will apply to 0.22's implementation. So it wasn't all a wasted effort
;-)

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera