With Cloudera hat on, I agree with Eli's assessment.

With Apache hat on, I don't see how this is at all relevant to the task at
hand. I would make the same arguments against taking CDH3 and releasing it
as an ASF artifact -- we'd also have a certain amount of work to do to make
sure that all of the patches are in trunk, first. Additionally, I'd want to
outline what the inclusion criteria would be for that branch.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera