I'm not going to cast a vote, but I'm concerned about this for the same reasons
Eli brought up -- in particular, compatibility with 0.22. I'm an author of
several patches that have gone into 0.21 and trunk, only to stay on hiatus for
2 years because the project hasn't made a stable release since 0.20. (Today,
many of these patches are being used through CDH, which is great, but it would
be nice to see them in an Apache release too.) This push of features into
0.20.203 makes a widely used 0.22 seem even more distant. Can we at least get a
confirmation that these changes will be included in 0.22, as well as a timeline?

To support a vibrant developer community, Apache Hadoop should not just be a
mechanism for Yahoo and Cloudera to publish patches. It should include a
well-defined process for smaller third-party contributors to push changes that
will make it into a stable release within a reasonable time horizon. The lack
of such a process has been a major cause for the slowdown in the project in my
perspective.

Matei