[Mentioning again: I am not on the PMC, and this email contains
non-binding opinions based on my reading the general@hadoop.apache.org
emails.]

It is my understanding that, from the beginning, the 0.20+security was
always treated as an exception to the normal (I.e. Pre-0.20) release
process. (This has been confirmed by the mailing list threads, in which
many of those who are objecting to this release now - stating that it has
violated norms - have consented, actually argued for, breaking the norms.)

For whatever I have read on this mailing list before the vote for this
release, it looked like most of the community agreed that what Yahoo! Had
produced on their own branch, outside of Apache trunk, was important
contribution, and a release based on that would be a good idea, and that a
one-time release should proceed. (After all, whichever organization the
contributors belong to, many seem to indicate that they feel ashamed not
having an Apache release in more than a year.)

>From many emails on this thread, it has been clear to me, that it is a one
time concession given for parting ways from the normal process, and I hope
everyone understands that this is supposed to make Apache Hadoop releases
relevant once again.

So, to cut it short, the 0.20.203 backward incompatibilities etc have no
bearing on the "normal" process, in which no backward incompatibilities
should be allowed in minor releases. To answer your specific question, I
have no reason to believe that 0.22.1 could be backward incompatible with
0.22.0.

- milind

--
Milind Bhandarkar