On May 6, 2011, at 4:53 AM, Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org> wrote:

I understand Eli's concerns that putting stuff in there that hasn't gone
into trunk yet is danger. However, as the team makes no guarantees of 100%
compatibility between releases, I don't think it's critical. It's just
something that needs to be addressed -which can be done after this release
has shipped.

I was under the impression that the community has been extremely strict
about compatibility between minor version bumps in the past. I though there
were specific guarantees and that was one of the reasons certain behaviors
have persisted so long.

Does this mean API changes can be made in minor releases and it can be made
backward compatible in future releases? That seems very, very counter to
various conversations that have happened in the past. I'm of the mind that
we should continue to promise what we've always promised and if that's
changing, let's make with the refactoring party!

Can some PMC'ers clarify this one for me?

TIA.
Sammer

-Steve