> -we've been using Y! releases, and this brings their branch
> back into the apache fold, meaning we can say "the official
> Apache release of Apache Hadoop is something you can use in
> production".

And it is worth consideration that there is some measure of competition between
Apache Hadoop and other projects, for example:

  http://twitter.com/#!/CurtMonash/status/66343706743160832
  "@SethGrimes The @DataStax story is "Cassandra is mature,
  unlike Apache Hadoop, and hence will rescue Hadoop"" I've
  requested proof points..."

and they are happy to exploit any perception of division, lack of forward
progress, and such. Perhaps this is additional, and I pray sufficient,
motivation to cease the proxy battles, bury the hatchet, etc.

   - Andy