On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 10:22AM, Steve Loughran wrote:
> On 16/11/11 04:22, Arun Murthy wrote:
>> Please vote on naming 'future' releases off branch-0.20-security (with
>> both security&  append) as hadoop-1.x.x.
>>
>> We should also rename branch-0.20-security as branch-1.x.x.
>>
>> I propose we use the common 3-part major, minor (compatible, newer
>> features) and sub-minor (bug fixes) scheme as suggested by Doug in the
>>
>> The vote will run the normal 5 days.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Arun
>
> -1
>
> If 0.23 -> 2.0 (as everyone agrees) then that will send a clear message
> to users that

Sorry, Steve - not everyone agrees with that apparently. And the reason for
said disagreement has been discussed in lengths times and again.

There are three major development branches in existence and if re-numbering
takes place than all three should be considered equally to prevent creating
even more mess with the versions. What you are proposing will essentially lead

    0.22  -> 0.22
    0.20+ -> 1.0
    0.23  -> 2.0

And this will be so bad that frequent Firefox major version updates (which
works great, btw) will look like a nice thing to have.

Cos