On 11/18/11 4:30 PM, "Konstantin Shvachko" <shv.had...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Doesn't having trunk on lesser version than a branch make Hadoop
>versioning more confusing?

IMO Trunk is named 'trunk', and has no version
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hadoop/common/
Where is 0.24?  nowhere (yet).  There is only trunk and the branches.

The pom files in maven may be confusing, since they claim that the code in
the 'trunk' is 0.24.0-SNAPSHOT.
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hadoop/common/trunk/pom.xml?view=markup
One should not have to commit to a branch name before branching from trunk!

Just change the trunk pom project name to trunk-SNAPSHOT.
When a branch occurs, it can be named with a version, and the pom's in the
branch updated appropriately.

This way, trunk's version never changes -- which is helpful after a branch
for many IDE's that derive config from maven.  It also allows consistency
between svn paths and maven versions.

OT: (the maven release plugin is restrictive and flawed IMO.  It conflates
naming with version control, only working well if you follow its default
'rename where you branched from' policy.  Use 'mvn versions:set' and
svn/git instead for branching).