On 3/19/12 11:02 PM, "Konstantin Shvachko" <shv.had...@gmail.com> wrote:

><Doug>
>> to prevent such situations in the future might be that if you backport
>> something from branch n to n-2 then you ought to also be required to
>> backport it to branch n-1 and in general to all intervening branches.
>
>This is imo the most important topic in the discussion.
>I support Doug's proposal, because it provides forward-moving
>evolution of the project,
>with releases being driven by the necessity to introduce new features,
>so that we could avoid back- and forward-porting overhead, which
>exhausts the community resources.

I believe this is untenable.  You cannot guarantee that Hadoop 11.x will
have all the features as Hadoop 3.x.  As such, a backport from 11.x to 2.x
for some reason should not imply porting all the way down the chain.  One
cannot foresee which of those intermediate versions are still active or
live in advance.
When a major version number changes, all bets are off.  The release may
completely overhaul an API, or it may not.  Assumptions of linear progress
break down.

Perhaps such a rule for branches within a major release line make sense
where one can reasonably expect to be able to maintain some expectation of
linear progress.  However not all major versions will have such an
assumption, and the same issues will apply.

The more difficult you make it for an organization to share its work with
the community (i.e. create a branch) the more likely they will work on it
on the side and not in the community.