It would seem to a humble outsider that project formalism and procedure is
not the issue, instead that is expectations and impact on the outside
world. We hear that branch-2 is approaching stability, except when it
isn't, as evidenced by new downstream project unit test failures at each
"minor" release, with major new features going in because it's too
difficult to renumber. (??)

Would it work if a consensus can be found on renumbering upcoming 2.0.5 to
2.1.0? That would be a simple and effective concrete step toward resolving
the disagreements I observe. Those who have voted +1 on this
discussion+vote thread can stabilize 2.0.4, with additional fixes, RM a
2.0.x branch, describe it as stable, and meanwhile life goes on for
everyone else on 2.1.x branch? Downstream projects could be advised to
stick with 2.0.x for API and runtime stability until ready to make the leap
up to 2.1.x or successor?

--
Best regards,

   - Andy