On Friday, Sep 19, 2003, at 05:21 Europe/Rome, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Sam Ruby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 19/09/2003 08:42:26 AM:

It took repeated attemps to get Ant to "matriculate". And significant
effort for Avalon. James is the only project that I recall that did it
of their own initiative.

I always wondered how Maven got out from under jakarta/turbine...

by asking.

the members came to consensus agreeing that project umbrellas are a pain in the ass and a PMC should be as close as possible to the code it develops, as to increase the ability to do proper legal oversight. [note: this notion is in *strong* contrast with this virtual-PMC... which, IMO, should be redesigned since it clearly creates more beaurocracy than any good]

This means that it would be almost automatic, today, for a "mature" project now included in some umbrella projects to "exit" and become a TLP... but only if they ask so.

This is how Cocoon, Avalon, James, Maven, Ant "escaped" the umbrella traps and went top level: they asked for it and their communities were considered mature enough. That was it.

Projects like Tomcat, for example, didn't ask because (from what I understood) they feel that "jakarta" has a marketing push and they want to keep it.

--
Stefano.