robert burrell donkin wrote:
On Friday, September 19, 2003, at 07:56 AM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

I don't doubt it, and the proof ought to be in the ones that have already
done so. I do ask if the PMC doing anything to help encourage other
projects to matriculate?

Last time I proposed that the Jakarta PMC asks some projects if they wanted to go top-level it did not get a... well... good reception.

Jakarta is not a "push" PMC, it tends to work more like "pull"; it does not really encourage projects to go on their own, but will support if they ask for it first.

i think that maybe you're being a little unfair.

I don't think so.

i (for one) would not feel able to support any vote to push any sub-project out of jakarta (though i do think that this would be a good thing for more than one sub-project.) i think that any push needs to come from a higher level with more moral authority.

Naaa, a post with "why don't you... the reason is that... you decide" can be sent by anyone.

There is a "trick" though in making the projects ask for it: make committers in Jakarta have all blanket CVS access. This way projects that want to keep their "own" community must ask to go top level for it.

Dunno how the thing is going now though, I got tired of waiting for some action and left the PMC.

if no one else has the spare energy (and the flame proof boots ;) required to encourage sub-projects to move to tlp status and you aren't willing to volunteer yourself then no action will be taken.

Listen dude, I asked the Ant project myself to move, and got flamed for that. I lobbied some James guys to do the same. I brought the discussion forward on the community mailing list. I took part in the Cocoon project going TL.

If there is someone here that has pushed projects top-level, that's me.

i'm sad that you decided to leave rather than take on (at least some of) this task.

I'm sad that my last proposal for pushing projects top-level did not find approval. I don't know you, but I would not take on a task that others do not agree with.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -