Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > The ASF has different projects doing things differently.  In my
> > opinion, one of the interesting things with Incubator is that the
> > Incubator is going to bring out those differences, and help to
> > illuminate best practices across the ASF, not just for new projects.

> Also, I am sure that the point is that those who would relate to the
> ASF should get aware of the fact that the different rules
> should be applied to differed *gradation* (STATUS?) of each projects.

You may not have realized that the STATUS file is actually a specific file
in the CVS module named STATUS.  I don't agree that rules should be
different because the HTTP Server project should be about stability, and
other projects should be about rapid development.  ASF software is supposed
to be something you can count on.  Each package may not scale to enterprise
size, but each should strive for enterprise quality in any stable release.
Do you imagine that Tomcat, Xerces, and Axis should be anything less than
stable?

My point was not that the HTTP Server project does things differently
*because ...*.  It was simply an observation that various projects do things
differently.  My comment was about what is, not what should be.  For
example, one rule is that the PMC is supposed to approve a release.  Just
because not all projects know about or practice the rule doesn't mean that
they shouldn't.

Here in the Incubator, we are trying to teach best practices to new
projects.  Since we come from different ASF projects, this nexus is where
project differences become more apparent, and where we can try to document
best practices not only for new projects, but also to disseminate to
existing ones.

I don't believe that there is any disagreement over the use of the STATUS
file.  The STATUS file should be the official document regarding incubation
status for a project.  AFAIK, Nicola Ken is saying the same thing, and
emphasized that he is talking about a score of items important to the PMC.
If anything, the question is what else to do in the STATUS file compared to
an issue tracker.

The HTTP Server project probably makes the fullest use of the STATUS file of
any ASF project, and I'd like to know more about their practices, since I
mostly see what goes on in Children of Jakarta projects.

        --- Noel