On Jul 29, 2005, at 5:02 AM, Mark Wielaard wrote:

When we started Harmony we all assumed that the FSF and ASF would talk
out their differences about ASL and GPL in the long run and that we
could and should just start cooperating on the technical level.

Yes, that is our intention still.

Why we
are proposing to just use MIT/X for any harmony contribution is just to
get on with business for now.

That was not my understanding, as the standard policy is ASF code under the Apache License.

I thought we were trying to figure out how we can work the *mailing list* so that your concerns were met.

So that all projects wanting to cooperate
could reuse any new work coming out of Harmony.

There are two kinds of work-product from Harmony, which reflect the two stated goals, and even the two stated groupings of initial contributors on the original proposal :

1) The modular implementation architecture for VM and class library - this was what I think is our main collaboration point, and we can share experience and define specifications with this license problem being less of an issue.

2) The Apache-licensed implementation of said architecture.

It seemed the simplest
least controversial suggestion that would get us going without needing
to bring up the old ASLv2/GPLv2 flamewars again.

If you and others think we as Harmony community should not do that
during incubation then maybe Apache isn't the place to do this harmony
cooperation for now.

Apache is the place for Harmony.

geir

[EMAIL PROTECTED]