On 7/31/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2005, at 9:57 AM, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
> > On 7/31/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

> >> We won't either, and we probably won't from the mailing list anyway -
> >> we'd ask that this kind of contribution is made through JIRA.
> >>

> > <snip>

> >> I'm not quite sure what you are talking about here.
> >>

> > i was thinking about new files with an ASL boiler plate at the top but
> > if these are going to accepted via JIRA then this isn't an issue.
>
> Agreed.  We're going to be very, very careful with incoming
> contributions, because the mass of applicable code out there - all
> the source to Sun's releases, for example - increases the risk that
> we'll get something a copyright owner didn't actually contribute...

+1

i wonder whether JIRA could be persuaded to present some sort of click
through documentation reminding users that apache is only interested
in unencumbered original contributions.

IIRC the biggest part of bootstrapping commons-math was assembling
enough documentation to ensure everyone who wanted to contribute knew
enough about copyright law to be able to vouch for their
contributions. phil steitz is a good documentor and managed a
(somewhat) similar process with commons-math. i wonder whether he
might have some tips.

i want to try to boostrap some kind of legal FAQ for committers and
contributors
(http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-general/200507.mbox/[EMAIL
PROTECTED])
but was considering the right place to bring up the subject (danny's
emails in the linked thread pretty much sum up the idea). so maybe
that'd be useful for harmony as well...

- robert