Thanks to everyone helping clear up things. What Roy says here would
indicate that we wouldn't strictly need the grant for out FOP
contribution because the code is already published under the ALv2 and
all three people involved have ICLAs on file with the ASF. :-) But I'm
sure we can get them to do the additional paperwork.

On 08.02.2006 22:12:04 Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Feb 8, 2006, at 10:01 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
> > The reason is that the Software Grant is a legal vehicles that
> > says "I/We own this software and we are granting it to
> > the ASF". So unless there is a legal entity that owns
> > the code, they cannot grant it to the ASF to allow us to
> > relicense it.
>
> yep
>
> > In that case, each person who ever committed a line of
> > code needs to submit a iCLA which allows their patches
> > (and therefore, once everyone has one on file, the
> > complete codebase) to be relicensed under the AL.
>
> Actually, it is only needed from everyone who might own copyright
> to some part of the work.  So, it is those people who have contributed
> functionality greater than a simple bug fix.
>
> OTOH, the mentors should be aware that, because this work is already
> licensed under BSD terms, there is no LEGAL risk to the foundation if
> we can't get all the signatures -- those remaining are simply considered
> reuse of BSD-licensed code.  However, we still want the CLAs for social
> reasons and to confirm that moving the contributions to Apache License
> is a voluntary act.  Also, it reduces the vulnerability of the original
> OFBiz group if we obtain this permission now, while their contributors
> are still in the mood.

Jeremias Maerki