An alternative would be XML Commons Externals where we already have the
whole JAXP and W3C DOM family of APIs. Maybe we should make an inventory
of all those APIs on a Wiki page and write down where they are currently
located. That should give us a better overall picture. Charging into
uncontrolled action might not be the best thing to do. Maintaining APIs
also requires some amount of coordination among projects which also
means that everybody should know what our idea is. Not everybody is on
this list.

That said: +1 for a TLP and for consolidating all API efforts in one
place.

Will be back after a good night's sleep...

On 07.06.2006 21:27:30 robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On 6/7/06, James Strachan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Am kinda thinking it needs a very different kind of pmc/committer
> > model so a new top level project might be simplest.
> >
> > e.g. any comitter at apache should be pretty much welcome to come in
> > and add a spec or fix any errors in the specs or build system or
> > documentation - as they are generally static and don't change (until a
> > new spec comes along or a spec changes).
> >
> > So its kindof a cross-project project with a low barrier to entry for
> > any apache committer (since no real development happens other than
> > typing in the specs from the javadoc).
>

> jakarta already has a low barrier for existing apache committers and has the
> advantage of no setup overhead (the pmc and lists already exists). might be
> worth considering kickstarting at jakarta and then look to move it to a top
> level pmc later.
>
> - robert

Jeremias Maerki