On Jul 12, 2006, at 6:20 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

Although history documents an unfortunately strong human tendency towards delegating to a hierarchical authority, the ASF philosophy is peer- based, not hierarchical. The PMC Chair is a legal requirement, not a community
one, and a fallback in case of community failure.

From the inception of the project, we want to instill in it the ASF
philosophy of peer-based collaboration.  Putting someone First Amongst
Equals is the start of a road to excuses and dependence instead of
collective responsiblity. I would prefer that we help indoctrinate people
on taking collective responsibility.

I think it's critical for everyone to internalize the peer-based philosophy
in their ASF duties, although legally and structurally we do have a
hierarchy.  We have the distinction of Non-Committer, Committer, PMC
Member, PMC Chair, ASF Member, and Board Member (not listed in any order). Each comes with an increased amount of responsibility and accountability. This is how we operate. It also means your actions can have a far bigger
impact on your peers, which is why it's critical to carry out your
responsibilities with a true peer focus.

So, yes, we have a peer-based philosophy which is naturally at odds with
our hierarchical organization. Handling that balance is the true sign of someone who "get's it." This is exactly what we should be teaching in the
Incubator.

People need to know and understand the compromises that exist and why they
exist.  Anything less than that starts to look hypocritical and only
creates communities that aren't able to handle the natural conflict between
peer-based and hierarchical.

So I'd say +1 to having a chair for the PPMC.  I might even go as far to
say that grooming a chair from the list of developers be one of the
graduation requirements, though I'm less sure about that point.  Maybe
you'd start with one of the mentors as chair then, maybe half way through incubation, start grooming a new ppmc chair from within the project. They
don't graduate till they all "get it", completely.

-David