Cliff Schmidt wrote:
On 7/13/06, David Blevins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Maybe you'd start with one of the mentors as chair then, maybe half way
through incubation, start grooming a new ppmc chair from within the project.

+1
This addresses my concern about formally identifying the mentor who is
taking the key responsibility for the podling (rather than three
rarely available mentors with no one of them taking responsibility).
It also allows this mentor to demonstrate the role of a chair,
particularly during the beginning of the project when the project
could use help with both community processes and logistics.  And I
definitely agree with the idea of handing off that role during
incubation to one of the committers as soon as one of them as got the
idea.

I just want to note that we don't have a requirement that chairs be members. I thought I recalled a rule that mentors had to be members, but I can't quickly find confirmation of that.

In any case, I don't have a problem with us ENDING UP at the point where a successfully incubated project has a non-member chair, but STARTING OUT at a point where somebody potentially new to the ASF is handed the role and basically told "go mentor yourself" seems kinda odd.

A more concrete example to nail this down: Dims and I are listed as mentors of Tuscany, but I doubt either of us expect to be the ultimate chair (I certainly don't!), and I wouldn't want to make any of the current participants into a chair or chair like role just yet. The fact that role of ASF chair is not one of technical leadership is something that takes many people time to appreciate, and interjecting that confusion into the incubation process at this point would make things more difficult.

Now each project is different. I can imagine other cases where this could work. And even with Tuscany, I can imagine handing off the chair role to somebody during incubation and letting them take ownership (with Dims and I as monitors/meta-mentors/safety-nets).

- Sam Ruby